The Master of Public Administration program is designed to strengthen decision making and public service delivery in a globalized community by preparing students designed to set in leading and managing distinctive public and nonprofit organizations. The program is committed to educate students with leadership capacity, administrative skills, and analytical abilities to manage public and nonprofit organizations in a perse society.
This is an English-taught program especially designed for foreign students interested in Chinese economic transformation and development strategies, like the “One Belt, One Road Initiative.” The core of the curriculum thus covers: (1) the required courses for MPA students; (2) the introductive course on the political system and socio-economic changes in contemporary China; (3) the optional courses; and (4) a specially-design internship are also integral part of our program.
All program faculty members hold doctoral degrees, many of the MPA faculty obtained PhDs from the U.S., European countries or Japan. MPA faculty members have experience of research or consulting in public policy and public management, and have expertise in various field of specialty. Adjunct faculty members and practical advisors are highly qualified and experienced academics and practitioners.
Students admitted to the Program will be able to apply for the scholarship offered by the Ministry of Education of China. And the SUFE will be able to arrange origination and accommodation. Students should complete the program within 2 years.
1. Required Courses
Social Science Methodology
Public Policy Analysis
Major Required Courses
Public Sector Organization Management
Introduction to Chinese Economy and Society
Social Security Development and Management
The Government and Politics of China
* Full-time MPA students are required to take the following 6 core courses with 16 credits and 4 major required courses with 8 credits.
For more information about required courses and faculties please find here.
2. Optional Courses
Full time MPA students need to take 4 optional courses with 8 credits. The program provides various optional courses, such as Global Governance, Government and Market, International Laboratory, International Relations, Public Choice, Sino US relations, World Government and Politics, Local Governance and Urban Policy etc.
Students also need to take a 2-credit internship and complete a report. The internship could be in public organizations or non-profit organizations which fit students’ research interests.
2 years (from September 2018)
International applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 45 with a bachelor’s degree and in good health. Non English native speakers should pass IELTS test (above 6.5 points) .
* Applicants from the Mainland of China, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan who are applying to study at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics as international students should meet the additional requirements of the National Ministry of Education.
(1) Visit our online application system(http://ao.sufe.edu.cn), submit your application, print out the application form and sign on it.
(2) One photocopy of your valid passport.
(3) One photocopy of your diploma and degree certificate (a notarized Chinese or English translation is demanded if the original version is in other languages). For those who are about to graduate, a certification of expected graduation is also acceptable).
(4) One photocopy of your transcript of academic records during your Bachelor or Master’s study (a notarized Chinese or English translation is demanded if the original version is in other languages).
(5) English language level certificate, above 550 (paper based) and 80 (computer based) in TOFEL or 6.5 in IELTS.
(6) Personal statement, written in English, which includes your education and work experience, research results and a study plan.
(7) Recommendation letters in Chinese or English from two professors or associate professors.
(8) Application fee: 1660 RMB (or the proof/invoice of remittance)
The application period is open from March 1st 2018 to April 30th 2018.
(1) The application materials (hardcopies) and registration fee should be submitted to the office before the deadline.
(2) Two types of entrance examinations are offered:
b.) Written exam and Interview.
The entrance examinations will be arranged in early June. Once all necessary documents have been submitted and approved, the Admission Office of ICES-SUFE will inform qualified applicants about the details of the interview by telephone or email.
(3) Qualified applicants will be accepted after passing the entrance examinations. The International Cultural Exchange School (ICES) of the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics will mail the applicant both the Visa Application Form for Foreign Students (JW202 Form) and Admission Notice.
(4) The applicants must go to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their home country with the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for studying in China to apply for the student entry visa.
(5) Students must register at the ICES of SUFE on time in accordance with the detailed requirements in the Admission Notice.
* All application materials and application fee are not refundable.
50,000 RMB/Year (25,000 RMB/Semester).
Chinese Government Scholarship (CSC)
- CSC online application: Admission code of SUFE: 10272
- CSC Scholarship application deadline: March 31st 2018.
Please refer to here for more details about the Chinese Government Scholarship.
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
1001 2249 0930 005 0373
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Shanghai Municipal Branch
No.9 Pu Dong Avenue, Shanghai, China
International Cutural Exchange School (ICES)
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE)
Address: No. 369 Zhongshan Beiyi Road, Shanghai, 200083, P.R.China
Tel : +86-(0)21-6536-1944
Fax : +86-(0)21-6536-1958