LL.M. (Master of Laws) is a degree program for postgraduate law students provided by the Law School of the Shanghai University of Finance & Economics (SUFE). Based on the field of law, and supported and integrated by rich teaching resources in the area of Economics and Management which is high-ranking nationally, this program aims to foster legal professionals with internationally-recognized talents.
International students who successfully complete this law program will:
(1) Possess a solid foundation of legal theories, good citizenship and a deep understanding of the spirit of the rule of law principle;
(2) Possess professional knowledge of economic law, civil & commercial law, and the like, and be able to combine theory with practice;
(3) Possess a strong ability to observe, analyze, and research legal issues;
(4) Become competent professionals in the fields of economic law, civil and commercial law, and other related fields upon graduation.
The teaching staffs in this program have outstanding domestic educational backgrounds, most of which have obtained their Ph.D. degrees from distinguished universities overseas. In Shanghai itself, the Law School has maintained intimate connections with various local government bodies and people’s courts, law firms, securities companies, commercial banks, insurance companies, fund companies and multi-national companies, and even more. Our international students from the LL.M. program could possibly be recommended by SUFE to visit, interview or have an internship within one of these institutions.
We particularly welcome students to participate in the program who come from other countries in the world and possess international cultural backgrounds. Our international students have the chance to study and live alongside outstanding Chinese law students, and this provides the perfect opportunity to make strong personal and professional relationships which will help you in your future lives and careers.
Society and Law
International Commercial Law
Intellectual Property Law
Our students are required to have 31 credits, which includes participating in all mandatory courses and passing all course examinations. In order to obtain the LL.M. degree, students must complete their master's thesis and pass the thesis defense. The thesis should be written in English.
2 years (from September 2018)
International applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 45 with a bachelor’s degree and in good health. Non English native speakers should pass IELTS test (above 6.5 points) .
* Applicants from the Mainland of China, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan who are applying to study at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics as international students should meet the additional requirements of the National Ministry of Education.
(1) Application Form for Enrollment (Degree Program). – please add your photo.
(2) One photocopy of your valid passport.
(3) One photocopy of your diploma and degree certificate (a notarized Chinese or English translation is demanded if the original version is in other languages). For those who are about to graduate, a certification of expected graduation is also acceptable).
(4) One photocopy of your transcript of academic records during your Bachelor or Master’s study (a notarized Chinese or English translation is demanded if the original version is in other languages).
(5) English language level certificate, above 550 (paper based) and 80 (computer based) in TOFEL or 6.5 in IELTS.
(6) Personal statement, written in English, which includes your education and work experience, research results and a study plan.
(7) Recommendation letters in Chinese or English from two professors or associate professors.
(8) Application fee: 1660 RMB (or the proof/invoice of remittance)
The application period is open from March 1st 2018 to April 30th 2018.
(1) The application materials and registration fee should be submitted to the office before the deadline.
(2) Two types of entrance examinations are offered:
b.) Written exam and Interview.
The entrance examinations will be arranged in early June. Once all necessary documents have been submitted and approved, the Admission Office of ICES-SUFE will inform qualified applicants about the details of the interview by telephone or email.
(3) Qualified applicants will be accepted after passing the entrance examinations. The International Cultural Exchange School (ICES) of the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics will mail the applicant both the Visa Application Form for Foreign Students (JW202 Form) and Admission Notice.
(4) The applicants must go to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their home country with the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for studying in China to apply for the student entry visa.
(5) Students must register at the ICES of SUFE on time in accordance with the detailed requirements in the Admission Notice.
70,000 RMB/Year (35,000 RMB/Semester).
Chinese Government Scholarship (CSC)
- CSC online application: Admission code of SUFE: 10272
- CSC deadline: March 31st 2018.
Please refer to here for more details about the Chinese Government Scholarship.
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
1001 2249 0930 005 0373
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Shanghai Municipal Branch
No.9 Pu Dong Avenue, Shanghai, China
International Cutural Exchange School (ICES)
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE)
Address: No. 369 Zhongshan Beiyi Road, Shanghai, 200083, P.R.China
Tel : +86-(0)21-6536-1944
Fax : +86-(0)21-6536-1958